| Mya Mary Kennedy |
Mya Mary Kennedy
Born March 22, 2012
6 pounds 14 ounces
She's here! Mya Mary Kennedy was born at 3:35am on Thursday, March 22nd, 2012... at home.
Yes, at home. Here's her exciting, beautiful, and fast story:
Wednesday afternoon I had my weekly doctor appointment. The appointment went well and the doctor didn't indicate anything about delivering Mya early, in fact things had stayed relatively the same since my last visit. So I left and picked up Ben at daycare and went on with my evening. That night turned out to be our only quiet night that week (Matt's schedule was incredibly busy for the days leading up to her birth - as well as the days after). So we enjoyed some extra fun family play time, including a new Thomas the Tank Engine book and playmat for Ben. We had a blast! The evening ended with Matt having a Fantasy Baseball Draft online and I ran out to do a few errands that I had wanted to get done for a while. So overall, a normal evening.
I woke up at 1am Thursday morning due to a mild contraction. They continued for 2 hours, but were intermittent and somewhat random. A few were uncomfortable enough that I walked a little, but always ended up back in bed to nap and snooze for a while until the next arrived. I honestly thought it was false labor - thinking that my little gal knew better than to show up early. Ha ha. At 3am I was sleeping but awoke to a loud cannon sound in my head. I knew right away it was my water breaking. (How do we know these things when we've never experienced that before?!?) I ran to the bathroom and at once said, "Matt... my water just broke." in a somewhat shocked voice. He replied mater-of-factly, "I guess that means we're going to the hospital." So we got up and did the necessary things to get ready. I called my doctor and chatted about what to do. Neither one of us were concerned with a fast delivery since I was in labor with Ben for about 10 hours. So the doctor said that as long as I left the house in an hour, we should be fine. We called my mom by 3:10am or so who got up and started driving down to watch Ben once we left. We continued on with our morning, not feeling rushed. In fact I even told Matt to go sit down and enjoy his cereal and read the sports. I walked around the house packing a hospital bag (I know - I was unprepared... no bag packed!), emailing work, and other putzy things. I was planning on showering, but as I walked into the bathroom I noticed that my contractions were just uncomfortable enough that I decided to instead throw on a little eye make-up and tie my hair back some instead. So I continued going about the house getting ready. Just after 3:25am I had my first strong contraction. It felt awful and I had to stop and breath deeply through it. After that they intensified fast and I quickly made my way to the bathroom to sit down, thinking that would help. In my mind I was thinking, "Oh this is going to be an awful ride to the hospital!" Still not realizing what was really going on. Then I had the strongest contraction and I breathed Matt's name. As he tells it, "The way she called me was in such a way that you never would think to ignore." So he came straight to me. By the time he got there I had a strange feeling and my body wanted to push. Didn't realize it, but Mya was crowning. It was just after 3:30am.
From there things happened at lightning speed. Once Matt reached me, I had to brace my arms in his. We stayed like this for one agonizing contraction and then he helped me up, both of us thinking we needed to get to the car. A half a step later we realized that was never going to happen. Instead I went straight to the floor and Matt took over. He dialed 911 right away and somehow managed to grab a few towels in the short seconds that occurred between my contractions. Two long minutes and two contractions and pushes later, there was our Mya in Matt's arms. He delivered our daughter! Even in those crazy, hectic, somewhat alarming moments we realized just how special this was. It was 3:35am
| The three officers who were wonderful! |
Soon after that my mom arrived. Because the police cars weren't in our driveway, my mom never assumed they were at our house. When she came in at 3:45am she saw Matt at the top of the stairs and said, "What's going on outside?" to which Matt replied, "Uh.. Molly, the baby has already been born!" With that my mom kicked off her shoes and flew upstairs. She quickly got out her camera and started photographing everything - which was funny since right at that moment I yelled out, "I sure hope someone is getting pictures of all this!" That's when a police officer said, "You're mom is on top of that already." I guess my mom and I think alike. :-)
| One of the EMTs with Mya. |
| Matt, a PROUD daddy! |
| Feeling very secure! |
We arrived at the hospital by 4:30ish am. Once there, the "normal" post delivery things took place. Mya was weighed, measured, and looked over. I took was taken care of and was told I was in really good shape. Boy was it good to hear Mya and I were healthy and OK! Mya bathed in some warm lights for a long time to warm up - her temperature dropped a lot due to being born at home. It's not as warm there! While she warmed up, Matt and I began the process of getting over the shock of everything that happened. We were full of joy, but still a little overwhelmed.
Our day continued and around 9am we were brought to our new room. As we moved from the labor and delivery wing to the new room, they played "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star." They play that song in the whole hospital whenever a baby is born. It brought an overwhelming feeling of joy to my heart. Not only because of Mya's arrival but also because that is Ben's favorite song to sing. It was moving to hear that song at that moment, holding my daughter and thinking so fondly of my sleeping son at home. God is GOOD!
| Ben holding Mya for the first time. |
Being a family of four is a beautiful thing. We're enjoying our new family very much and cherishing all the changes it has brought us.
So it is with all my heart that I say, "Welcome, Mya! Your Mommy, Daddy, and brother Ben are SO happy you've arrived!"
| A very happy family of four! Karen, Matt, Benjamin, and Mya Kennedy. March 22, 2012. |
2 comments:
Praise God from whom all blessings flow! What a great birth story! Karen, you look FANTASTIC. It is impossible to tell in the pics that you just birthed your daughter- without medication (YGG!). Matt- way to go on being the attending for the evening! So good to hear you are both healthy, and that she was able to nurse right away too!
Life sure seems magical as a family of 4- you both make parenthood look like a breeze. Hopefully things are settling down a little bit.
Call me if you need help- I can clean the house, do laundry, take Ben for a few hours so you can get some rest. Also, we will be bringing a meal in the next couple weeks so let me know what you are craving
Love and hugs to the Kennedy family!
The Ingalsbe fam
Congratulations to all four of you, Karen. Mya is beautiful, and looks just right in her big brother's arms. And may I add that you are a wonderful writer? :o)
Post a Comment